Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
I don't know why you would consider paying such a high price for a new Rem 870 when they are so many older Rem 870's to choose from on the used market. The chrome lifter models ( pre-1970) do have a cult-like following among Rem 870 collector's which claim the chrome lifter guns were essentially hand-built Not sure if this hand-built claim is justified yet in the gun world some opinions eventually become fact.

To my knowledge, you can order you can order any 870 replacement parts from Remington today which will fit any Rem 870 regardless of the year it was made with the exception I believe the extractor has been changed to a beefier profile.

For bird shooting meaning a fast swinging shotgun, the "Light contour" barrels made for the Rem 870 ( and Rem 1100) will let you think you are shooting a fine English built shotgun. A light contour barrel would be an enjoyable addition to an 870 for upland hunting or on the clay bird field.

The Rem 870 one of the few Remington built guns which have never had a factory recall for some issue. Neither has the Remington 1100 but there was a class action suit on Rem 1100 barrels in the late 80's for the amount of steel or rather lack of steel used in Rem 1100 production barrels.

There is supposedly one or two Remington 870 Trap guns in the ATA trapshooting Hall of Fame that are reputed to have 1 million rounds shot in them from "Hall of Fame" trapshooters from the past. Enough said.

My Express was one of the first years, also, Rem chokes were new.

It WAS part of a class action suit.
I didn't take anything. I never had any trouble.
Yep, Remington had to replace a BUNCH of barrels. Seems they were making them out of cheap Mexican steel and had a habit of bursting.