The design of the 870 is sound. For the price it is a work horse.
It also has many outside suppliers making cool add on or upgrade parts.
If your into a fine polish and deep blue an older one might be your best bet. (look very carefully at the Staking of the spring steel inserts inside any 870 Action you buy used)
But most of my uses for the pump don't need fancy blue. As stated before a good wipe with corrosion x or whatever won the, "best of the cans test on rusting" should keep your Rem express pump in the game.
If you really want some happiness spend the dollars on the trigger upgrade kit. Even better, the older full machined Timney Trigger assemblies are very nice for trap targets. But will cost you nearly the price of the Express to get one.
A Bill Davis Enterprises stock set is also a nice upgrade if your trying to get your flying targets to intersect where your eye is looking.
So many choices.
Still working after all these years, even with the changes at the factory build table.
Also a fan of the rattle can modifications on job specific units where necessary for your hunt.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......