C ROY,

My first .375 H&H (the one I've now had to almost 30 years, despite a couple others along the way) is a Whitworth Mark X. Bought it for $225 at Capital Sports & Western Wear in Helena, Montana. It had a cheap synthetic stock, which I then replaced with a better one, and then added a pretty plain-grained American walnut stock I fitted and checkered, and shortened the barrel to 22". The late Dave Gentry added one of his M70-style 3-position safeties, and D'Arcy Echols eventually added a set of NECG express sights. It shoots very well, and among other animals (including one buffalo) took my first kudu, a huge-bodied bull so old its horns were broomed back several inches, like an old bighorn sheep The Whitworths are fine rifles, and if you find one in good they really don't need extra stuff I've had done to mine.

That said, I would suggest you take RinB's advice and at least contact the PH, asking if he'd be amenable to using the .338 you already own. Just about everything in Africa is flexible, including the regulations about minimum "caliber"--and .375 is by no means the universal legal minimum.The saved money could toward other safari expenses, which always crop up.

But if you really, truly want a .375, so you have an "African" rifle to take to Africa, then you should get one! That's why I took my Whitworth on my first safari, even though it was strictly plains game.....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck