Originally Posted by Learmorer

In my opinion, I always found the .375 more comfortable to shoot than a .300 magnum, either Winchester or Weatherby. The .300 seemed to have a vicious, tooth rattling jab, while the .375 just had a big smooth push. Maybe it's because the .375s all had a more reasonable weight, and they seem to build .300s light.

Agree.

I think it has something to do with the velocity of the recoil. A .300 Mag can jab, big guns seem to push.

I'd rather shoot a 500 Nitro Express than a light .300 Mag. Had a good bud headed for Africa. I helped him with his 500 NE Merkel double. That big gun pushed back, but recovery was quick. I put two rounds on a 25 yd target around 2" apart and did it quickly. I felt in control and confident I could do some damage with that big gun. It wasn't as intimidating as I thought it would be.

I got a light weight 300 WM from an estate sale. A pharmacist had it. He had mercury recoil reducer in the stock, a big recoil pad. I could see why he did all that; it was a pain to shoot, literally. It didn't me take long to trade that thing, never looked back. I have a light Ed Brown Damara in .300 WM. It has a muzzle brake and although noisy, not a bad gun to shoot. Ed put brakes on all his light magnums, said the brake made them more accurate. I did shoot it without the brake, didn't take long to put it back on..

Stock fit also is a factor.

DF