I recently bought a nice, lightly used rifle and a higher end used scope (separate purchases). My first 2 range trips showed a lot of promise with every hand load I tried shooting 1.25" or better at 100 yd, and several shooting 3/4" or better for 5 shots. Yesterday I moved out to 200 yd with a load that had shot very well previously at 100yd and things went haywire. I shot 8 shots and had a 5" pattern. Frustrated, I moved back to my 100 target and rattled off a 4 shot group just under 3/4".
I left puzzled and ran to my local shop and picked up a box of factory ammo to try. Today I went back to the range with my brother to let him shoot it and eliminate me as a variable. His 1st group at 200 yrds was 3.5" with my hand loads, then he shot another 3.5" group with the factory ammo. Then I shot the factory ammo at 100 and it went into an honest 1/4" group!!! Then I shot the factory ammo at 200 at it was about 3", so we packed it up for the day.

I'm looking for suggestions and help. I have my theory on the problem, but I'm looking to the brain trust here for answers. Nothing really makes sense. HELP!!!!!