Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Some more comments on this thread:

First, we still don't know the make of rifle, cartridge, or anything about the ammo.

At first country boy said the wind wasn't over 5 mph, then admitted he had no way to measure it, other than guessing and looking at the local weather report. Then he said it was 2-3 mph, straight on.

We also don't the brand of either scope, or whether either is actually adjustable for parallax. Just because a second scope was tried doesn't mean the second wasn't part of the problem. Several years ago a guy on the Campfire asked me for a good powder/charge for 165's for the .30-06, as he'd just bought one, a model well-known for accuracy. I told him around 58 grains of H4350, and as I recall even suggested a bullet to start with. He couldn't get it to shoot, so I suggested trying another, proven scope. He still couldn't get it to shoot, and I didn't hear from him for a few months. At that point he PM'd me, admitting BOTH scopes were brand-new. He'd finally tried an old beater scope he had, as I recall maybe even a 4x, M8 Leupold. All of sudden the rifle started shooting sub-inch groups with the same load.

We're still lacking a bunch of info, and along with that, many of these rifle-diagnoses threads never get resolved because often its impossible to analyze what's wrong without being there.

Swifty, did you read the article on the 28 Nosler accompanying the handload chart you posted?

John, I think he said it is a Nosler 48 rifle chambered in 7mm08. His handload was a 150gr. ELDX running about 2720 fps. The factory loads were Federal 140gr. NBT running around 2800 fps. An interesting part of his OP, is he states the loads he fired off had shown good accuracy "1.25" or better" on the first outing, but then states he tried them at 200 yards on a different day. I honestly don't think he is working with a good "proven" load. Things like a change in temperature can drastically effect the accuracy of a load, depending on how finicky the rifle is and what powder he's using. Again, he doesn't give specifics on the load. Hell, he doesn't even show pics of the groups. Now about the scopes he's using: The first scope he tried was a Leupold VX5HD (what power range, I don't know). Now it's a "Conquest" of which flavor no body knows. Does it have a parallax adjustment? Who knows. What power range? Who knows. I believe he's being very tight lipped. According to what he said, he doesn't want to "point fingers" if he ended up buying a "junk" rifle or scope. In his words, not mine. Like swifty said, Nosler has a 3 shot guarantee of 1 moa at 100 yards, with their ammo and probably their shooters. The rifle sounds sufficient enough to meet their accuracy requirements. I'm like you though, read enough of these kinds of threads and think to myself, send the damn thing to me. I'll shoot it and if it doesn't shoot well enough, a little tinkering like swifty said and it will be shooting lights out. A lot of these threads don't have enough information and getting that info from the op's seem more like pulling teeth, than anything else. I can see why you get tired of such threads as this one.. and some of these guys wonder why stick is so damn hard on them...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA