Originally Posted by pete53
speed goats die easy 6.5Creedmoor will be fine or any other cartridge ,we used to shoot speed goats with a 17 Remington and 223`s, if you can only afford one rifle i would just buy a 223 Remington my reason ammo is cheap,little recoil ,that cartridge is a better varmint fun gun ,your son will use it more. there are a lot of deer shot with 223 every year,i know guys that have shot many-many deer with the 223, sharp shooters that control deer populations in cities at night mostly that`s all they use is a 223.buy a Savage bolt rifle good price range,but buy a decent scope like a leupold.

How many antelope and deer do you shoot with 1 shot and done from 300-500 yds with the 223? The Creed will do that, will your 223 with that cheap ammo? Just asking , bamagun1 said he wanted the gun to serve well and son to not out grow it. If one limits the kids shots to 250 yds and under how does his ability grow with that? He is a kid ,do you expect him to pole vault into a stunt shooter status? Just asking no need to run up you bp, I asked objective questions. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "