Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
The meat is good. Some call’em “stink goats”, but if the meat is handled right it’s really good.

I remember one NM hunt, we passed by a couple pronghorns hanging from an old front end loader tractor as we entered our ranch. We hunted, killed a couple of goats, had them on ice within half hour. As we left that ranch, those animals were still hanging in nearly 100* weather.

Now, I can guarantee those were stink goats. Our’s weren’t.

DF

Taking care of the meat is important, regardless of the animal. Like you, we get the goats on ice ASAP. Like you, we often have them on ice within half an hour of the shot. When we get elk or deer down we get them gutted and quartered as quickly as possible. I've had to leave the meat out overnight several times but cold night temps eliminated any issues with meat quality.

A few years back we were hunting antelope and saw an outfitter camp with about 7-8 animals on the ground. One guy was gutting and skinning and there was no help in sight. We think they may have been out shooting more. Another time we pulled into a CWD check station and the dually ahead of us had 3-4 elk stacked in the back. I assume they were gutted but the hides were still on. I wouldn't have wanted any part of those animals.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.