Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Buy another .25-06.. One kind of ammo, and it shoots flat enough to take antelope to 400 yards without turrets..

One kind of ammo - maybe. There is no guarantee the two will shoot the same ammo equally well. Two of the .30-06 rifles I have have long-throated chambers. The third had to go to the gunsmith to have the throat lengthened so I could shoot identical handloads in all three.

A 25-06 is what I intended to buy when I sold my shot-out Savage .22-250. Was literally leaving the gun show to go to Sportsman's Warehouse to but the .25-06 when I bumped into a guy carrying a like-new .257 Roberts with a Leupold M8-4x scope in the rings. Could not pass it up at $400 out the door and it has been my favorite rifle ever since (15 years).

If it were to do over, I'd be looking at a 6.5CM or 6.5 PRC for the wider and heavier bullet and factory ammo selection. Comparing a a .25-06/115g BT @ 3170fps (Nosler data) to a 6.5CM with a 143g ELD-X @ 2983fps (Hodgdon data) the 6.5 CM has about 9" more drop at 600, with about 60fps less velocity, 140fpe more energy and 2" lest drift.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.