Originally Posted by yukon254
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Tex, the factory loads are very mild, as is a 286 grain over 58 grains of reloader 15. Work up a full power 300 grain load using Alliant 2000mr. I top out at 64 grains of powder. At this level, the recoil is far more than a 30-06, you'll notice it.

Yukon, one thing about the common sense, 9.3 mauser:

It's the original bolt action dangerous game rifle. It's older than the first bolt action 30-06 and every cartridge based off the 30-06. That means: it's not a rip off or a knock off.

It's the grand daddy. In the beginning, it never became a German export to the United States or Canada. It became a German export to Africa and Scandinavia. John Moses Browning ruled the north country back then.

I just saw a massive grizzly on Friday night, nose to a 50 mph wind (probably running down moose calves. He looked like a cow moose with shorter legs and a bigger head. Dark brown legs, a hint of blonde guard hairs along the shoulders and neck. He left a high-bank of the Gulkana River. As I took after him, taking advantage of the noisey black spruce, the 9.3 felt right at home in my hand. He left one ft deep impressions in the moss. As the woods got tight and I lost his track, I actually took the scope off the rifle........

mainer, you're a bad influence on guys like me ! I hadn't really paid much attention to the 9.3 until I read one of your posts on AO about the round. I didnt know the Gulkana was your neck of the woods. Seems like we crossed the Gulkana River a week or so back. We went down to Kasilof and picked up a bear dog.

Yukon,
I'm all over the state. Was up in Northwest Arctic working in all the region's villages and hunting/fishing/training the dog team around the area. Now that the snow pack is gone, I'm back full time in my boat shop in Delta Junction. By late August, it'll slow down, and off into the woods I go.