I maintained a small fleet of OshKosh and Kenworth and Ford 350's plow trucks for twenty seasons, ski lodge contract. My take away on tires is, sales talk is just talk. If at all possible, observe tires on packed snow at relatively low speed, 20-35 mph, if you see a 'roostertail' of snow cleaning off the tread right behind the rolling tire...you have an effective snow tire. Faster speeds don't count, as centrifugal force cleans the tread. Tread pattern has little to do with actual effective traction. Under inflation can help a marginal tire's effectiveness. Unfortunately, squishy sidewalls and relatively soft tread layer rubber often make the best tire, for snow but not for longevity. In the plowing business, it ain't so much about going as it is stopping. About the first time you take off the top of somebody's speeding little suv with a wing plow that won't go up fast enough, you got yourself a lawsuit. Lesson, tires are cheap.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.