Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by Barkoff
I have been in central CA my whole life, farmers always cry poor, but I have been to many of their spreads..usually to pour nice outside kitchens and patios.

How are they supposed to live...in your opinion?

I swear...you wont find another profession where success is so begrudged.

Support a farmers market.

Jim, there are a lot of these city folks who expect a farmer to look like Fred Ziffle, the neighbor that had the pet pig on The old TV show, Green Acres. He's supposed to wear a pair of faded overalls, a plaid shirt, a straw hat, and drive around in a 1949 model truck. They don't understand that a farmer can actually live in a nice house, dress as good as his city cousin, and afford to drive a new truck.

Years ago, a non farmer neighbor of mine complained that it wasn't "fair" that I had a farm to deer hunt on, and he didn't have a place he could hunt. This was my reply.......For years, I've worked two jobs to help pay for my farm, I've worked 18 hour days, weekends and holidays, and done without many things that I would have liked to have. Meanwhile, you own a boat and go to the lake all the time, you own an old restored car and like to be seen driving it, you have a Harley........you made a choice to buy these things instead of a place where you could go hunting, so don't be complaining to me...you made your choice, and I made mine.

It all boils down to jealousy in a lot of cases, as the non-farmers have a mindset that the farmer is getting rich, because he has all that land and equipment.

They don't have a clue.