Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

There are two issues that need to be clearly identified in these discussions:

- "Good enough" for me and my application may not be for someone else. For the guy that shoots moose at 100 yards or less, a 0.5-1 MOA random POI shift goes unnoticed and is not a problem. For the next guy shooting a 6BR that is capable of shooting in the 0.2's, a 0.5 MOA random reticle shift is unacceptable.

- The probability/likelihood of a scope starting to exhibit new POI shift behaviours varies with different brands and models of scopes. It's probably safe to say that the average NF scope can go many thousands more rounds before random POI shift starts to occur than the average Leupold. So just because something has behaved well for a few hundred, or even a thousand rounds, that doesn't mean it will continue to do so.

While that assessment may meet your criteria when you say that the "scope and barrel are fine", it really doesn't say all that much about the zero retention/POI shift behaviour of the scope, nor the condition of the barrel. Rather than a single shot at 100 and another at 200, shooting groups and measuring velocity can indicate the condition of the barrel, and repeated, consistently-sized and centered 3-shot groups can show how the scope is holding up. No offense intended, just passing on my observations after dealing with many frustrating scope failures, while recognizing that people's scope requirements vary.

Of course not, what works for one may not for another. I agree 100%. Some on this site cannot accept that though.... why?

The POI hasn't moved. Still groups the same from year to year. The scope/barrel are fine in the sense it still shoots the same as it has and once it starts to stray, then I'll figure out what the issue is. But when it does, i won't bad mouth the scope or barrel or the gun. Things wear out over time, everything mechanical does. I didn't just shoot it twice that day. Nor did i say i only shot it twice that day (probably shot 40 rounds thru that rifle that day and don't assume all were in a row, they were spaced out over a few hours). This rifle I mentioned in this post is a hunting rifle that shoots really good (for me!). This isn't a competition rifle by any means. It will hold sub MOA easily and I'm comfortable shooting it the way i do for hunting purposes. I choose not to take a shot at game over 400yds with this setup. My choice and what I'm comfortable with. If i wan't to target shoot, then I'll use my target rifles and yes, minute errors then come into play. But that's a different scenario. If i want to take longer shots at game animals, then I'll use a different setup.

Way too many assumptions happen on this site. I'll have to be much more blunt in future posts, not that I'll post much anymore anyway. People here look to find faults in anyone that doesn't agree with their way and cannot accept the fact that their way is not the only way. What works for some may not work for others. I do not push my opinions on others, they're just that... opinions. Take 'em or leave 'em... i truly don't care. (not pointed specifically at you Jordan, just a general statement)