Originally Posted by Fireball2
Why are southerners still hung up on the Civil War?

No disrespect intended.

Hung up and interested and fascinated with the times are two different things. I think I fall in the latter. I love history.

Sooner or later, the communist snowflakes are gonna figure out what Sherman did to the Injuns and want to tear down his statues. I won't like that either.

Animosity towards Yankees over the war.....I don't have any. I get annoyed when some get sanctimonious about slavery but that is a case by case basis. The Ted Cruz thing with General Forrest being the latest example that comes to mind......but I don't want to fight or kill him over it. My Granddaddy was born in 1903 and probably could have heard some first hand war stories and legends since Sherman did some burning in his home area. Never said much if any about it, and I don't think it was instilled in the family too much.....so I did not get it. Other families are different. When you objectively consider it, the Yankees were very conciliatory, especially for the times. Had Lincoln not been killed, things would have moved along better. How much we don't know. Some historians speculate he did not have long to live because he was sick. May have wound up with President Johnson anyway. Hating the descendants of Yankee soldiers makes about as much sense as blacks hating whites for slavery. None of us alive today were involved.

What Bristoe said is big. We got the Federal Govt of today out of that war. However, there is no guarantee it would have been different had the South won. Man tends to gravitate toward tyranny not freedom.

Last edited by RJY66; 07/16/19.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn