Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Originally Posted by battue
Neither deliberately target civilians?
The carpet bomb air raids over Germany killed civilians on a daily basis. An estimated 400,000 to 500,000 civilians.The A bomb is estimated to have killed somewhere around 200,000 civilians, and rather quickly.

Things most certainly have changed today and one of the reasons we become entangled in long term wars today. Sherman was willing to be nice, after you had enough.

For the most part during WW2 in Germany, the U.S. chose military or industrial targets, and used Daylight raids to avoid excessive civilian casualties. Britain, OTOH, were using nighttime raids on civilian neighborhoods. They were taking a beating early in the war trying to hit well protected military targets in daytime, but after Germans started bombing London the gloves came off. I ain't saying the U.S. Didn't. There were several cities firebombed into nothing but soot, Dresden being the most famous. But as a rule, the U.S. concentrated on stuff to damage the German war effort. As a matter of fact the U.S. Refused the Dresden raid until the Brits pointed out the huge rail depot there.
Hiroshima was picked as a target for the bomb mainly because it was (A) relatively undamaged by bombing and (B) the seaport and small army base located there. Nagasaki was hit because of cloud cover over the primary target. (I forget what city)
Japanese industry was broken up into smaller cottage shops in civilian areas. Most everything there was built of paper and wood.
Comparing Sherman's March to bombing Germany and Japan is pretty Apples to oranges to my mind. I still maintain that his primary concern should have been The Army of Tennessee. The shortest route to the end of the war was by destroying the Confederate Armies.
7mm

An aerial armada of 334 B-29 bombers took off from newly established bases in the Mariana Islands, bound for Tokyo. In the space of a few hours, they dropped 1,667 tons of napalm-filled incendiary bombs on the Japanese capital, killing more than 100,000 people in a single strike, and injuring several times that number. It was the highest death toll of any air raid during the war, including Hiroshima and Nagasaki. By comparison, the bombing of Dresden a month earlier had resulted in around 25,000 deaths.
Read more at https://www.airspacemag.com/daily-planet/deadliest-air-raid-history-180954512/#IjBBLkTxSSAlibib.99

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."