Originally Posted by Valsdad
BGG,
Hope all is well up there. Not trying to offend anyone, just certain attitudes hit me as incongruent with American ideals, as I understand them.

Telling a person not to spend his "California" money on an item he wants (land) in another member State of the Union seems to me to be a bit Anti- American. Of course, speaking one's mind is as American as can be too.

Should he not have the right to spend his money where he wants?

I see the point some are making about foreigners investing in American land, but not a fellow American.

Free movement between the states, for business and pleasure, seems to be one of those things I learned about in history classes. No need for "papers" etc. I think the line of thinking I'm describing helped settle this country, no? Folks buying or homesteading land in another State or Territory and bringing their upbringing and customs with them perhaps should be tolerated at least?

Geno

All is exceedingly well Geno, hope your high desert bit o' real estate is treating you well today. FWIW no offense taken here at all. I enjoy fleshing out arguments among friends.

Any of us (American citizens that is) can and should be able to spend out hard or easy earned dollars any way we see fit. I did not say otherwise. My contention (and I tried to make a point not to single Cali out as I know how sensitive you gals are smile ) is simply that if a guy/gal wants there little slice of rural heaven, then cool. Live there. Oh, you mean the winters are cold? Or the summers are hot? Or maybe it's fit for a weekend here or there but certainly not to live full time as there aren't enough or the right kind of stores there? Then bugger off. If it's that magical, that amazing then simply live there. If you are unwilling, then I guess it ain't so magical eh?

Otherwise what happens is absentee owners come in with out of state money, drive the price up on real estate (because although it's a pittance compared to where they live and work it's higher than local wages can afford), and voila you have a shidty situation. I'm not local to this area, or even this state. My kids are though, and I have trouble seeing a way for them to be able to afford to live here, if they so choose.

I'm sure there's several hundred holes in my position, and I'm willing to hear the other point of view.

MAGA