I accept the technical reasons why the 410 is a poorer choice for most applications. For many of us there is an attachment component that is not logical, but potent. I have a young boy connection to the 410. Other than a .22, it was the first gun I hunted with. An H&R single-shot was my first bird and big game gun (deer). I can say it was an exceptionally poor choice for deer. I suppose the 410 slug is about on par in power with a 110 grain 38 special. At a young age, I knocked a deer over with a 410 slug at 50 or so yards. I recall my Dad was shocked I hit it. We thought I had it as we saw it go down and didn't see it get back up. When we went over there, there was a pool of blood and blood trail. We followed it a good ways but eventually the blood trail stopped. I was darn disappointed. The following season, I was sitting in the deerstand with a .303 British.

I have many pleasant memories of carrying the H&R 410 hunting grouse all day through the deep woods. The first shotgun I bought with my own money was a Winchester M1200 12 gauge slide action. My memories of carrying that through the woods all day are not as pleasant. I did find it a heck of a lot better on ducks. For grouse, I ultimately found the 20 gauge Remington M17 to be the best compromise. More powerful than the 410 and the Remington was a quick and light-handing fast repeater. Many times, the fact that it had a magazine tube filled with shells came in very handy.