If one has a good reloader, he can make 3/4 OZ loads for the 20 Ga and my loading manual also shows 5/8 OZ loads at 1,200 PFS....this makes for some low recoil loads for youngsters learning to shoot.....that said, I believe hearing protection is even more helpful in learning to shoot than low recoil. The even better thing about the 20 gas is it's ability to handle up to 1.25 OZ loads in 3" chamberings. If there is such a thing as a "Kids" gun, it's the 20 Ga....so where does the .410 fit in?....to me it's weight and some youngsters are better served with that feature than fire power.

Yes, I know there are some very lightweight 20s but the .410 just seems to handle better and is even lighter if you want to pay for that feature. 410 ammo is more easily found than 28 ga ammo as well....most places that sell ammo have a few boxes of 410 on the shelf.....both 2 1/2 " and 3".

I have started a couple youngsters with a Mossberg 500 pump youth model in 410 and both eventually graduated to the 20 as they grew out of the youth dimension stocks.....I really don't believe it was a mistake.