Originally Posted by vapodog
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Originally Posted by Clarkm
Most break action 410s are good for a great deal more bolt thrust and pressure than a 458 Win Mag in a Mauser 98, Rem700, Sav110, or Win M70.

This is a ridiculous comment. Go to the Hodgdon or Alliant web site or the Lyman shotshell reloading manual and you will find that the maximum pressures listed for .410 loads are about 1/4 of those for a .458.

While your comment is correct, it's not at all related to the comment by Clarkm who commented on the strength of the break action assembly.....not the force of the ammo.

I suspect that if you fired a .410 load with 50,000 or 60,000 psi in a break open shotgun, you would peel the chamber open like a banana and probably bend the firearm "off face."

Break open big game rifles, usually doubles, fire cartridges which are loaded to lower pressures than similar rounds intended for bolt action rifles.

Whatever the virtues of a .410 might be, containing high pressures is not one of them.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.