There's several comments above about sitting in a deer stand. Most of my deer hunting was done sitting in a stand. Was it boring? Well, maybe but much of the time I was too busy shivering and trying to fend off hypothermia to feel bored. I know campfire members hunt in different areas and the hunting can be very different. When I was young, I followed the family tradition to stick it out as long as I possibly could. I did that for two reasons. One was because I really wanted to get a deer - and this was the best way by far. The other reason I wanted to be one of hardiest of hunters who stayed in the stand from before dawn to after dusk. Getting out of the stand and walking around was a way to show you didn't have what it took. Stand hunting in the deep woods is hardly relaxing. A good way to not get a deer was to read a book or even just stare in one spot. Stand hunting means constant vigilance. Constantly looking all around you and very slowly turning your head to see all around you. Many times, I spotted a deer just because I happened to look that way. I suspect over the years there were dozens of deer who walked within sight but were gone within a few seconds. It involves a lot of discipline to restrict your movements and make as little noise as possible. One of the reasons I was so happy when I got my deer is then I could spend more of my hunting time walking.

I'm not saying every season was bitterly cold but a lot were and I'll never forget how cold I got. Even now, I'm remembering sitting in a snow-drenched stand on a very cold day with the H&R .410 across my legs. Earlier in this thread I mentioned wounding a deer with the .410. I remember now more of what happened. I was in the stand with my Dad. About five trotting deer came within sight. He whispered, "Deer". I know he wanted to me to get a shot but I was not in a position that I could shoot. So, he took a shot and dropped one. That turned them around and they ran across my line of sight. I threw the .410 up and dropped a running doe (though heavy brush) at 50 or so yards. That was the first shot I ever fired at a big game animal. I've already told the rest of the story - we went over there and there was a pool of blood and a blood trail leading away. We followed it a good ways but the blood trail eventually stopped. I didn't get. I realize had I been using a 20ga., there is a greater probability I would have had it. I never hunted deer with a .410 again, but I still enjoyed carrying it in pursuit of grouse and squirrels. So maybe a 20 gauge would have been better but it was a .410 that was the fixture in my youth.

Last edited by Nostalgiafan; 10/03/19. Reason: pulled the trigger to soon