Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by kellory
Originally Posted by Oldman3
Originally Posted by battue
Well, I disagree on the Kids part. Last thing I would do is give a Kidd a .410 and expect them to hit much. A .410 is something to be used by accomplished shooters that know how to shoot.

I disagree with you..... I learned to shoot with a .410 break-neck. Yeah, I missed a lot, but after learning to shoot and kill things with that gun, it was easy once I graduated to a 12 gauge. It also made me learn to hunt.... had to get closer to kill things. Taught me be patient, learned through trial and error how to stalk, how to judge distance, etc. All in all, I think it made me a better hunter. Teaching a kid how to kill a deer at 100 yds or more with a rifle, doesn't teach them much. Teaching them how to kill a deer at 25 yds or less with a shotgun requires a lot more skill. I'm not saying a shotgun wont kill game at distances beyond 25 yds, but if you kill a deer at that range, you did several things right.

+1

One of the founding principles of teaching a skill, for Kids or adults, is you start with easily accomplished goals and give them the tools to learn and succeed. When it comes to shotguns, a .410 is not the first tool to place in their hands.

I’ll throw targets for you two at 25 yards, and you use the .410 shotguns mentioned. It would be interesting to see exactly what you learned. Now you don’t get to sneak up on them. You don’t get to shoot them sitting in the box.

The fact you can kill a Deer with a .410, has little to do with giving a novice the best tool for success, when you start them on the path of becoming an accomplished Deer hunter.

Never said that a .410 was the best shotgun..... said that I believed that learning to hunt while having to use a .410 me a better hunter.

If you want to wear your arm out throwing targets at 25 yds, that's your business. I'll shoot as long as you'll throw.

I agree that the .410 is not the best tool for successful deer hunting. I can think of a lot of guns that would be better..... what would you suggest you give to a 10 yr old? 1 gun to hunt deer, squirrels, doves, and quail. Kinda puts a different perspective on it, doesn't it? Especially when you have to buy your own shells. I think Dad knew what he was doing..... cheapest shotgun shells, learn to shoot, learn to hunt, one shot, no bang-bang-bang!

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21