What he said.

Originally Posted by toltecgriz
The differences in post-op experiences can often be explained by the skill of the surgeon. Find the best you can. One who does several a week is a real plus. While difficult to do, the best way to accomplish this is to find physical therapists who will tell you who gets the best results. How one accomplishes this is up to you.

My surgeon made the difference, having years of successful experience in fixing shoulders. Two morphine pills later I was only moderately sore, although they had to scrape away some arthritic spurs and fix the bursa and tendon so everything was done at one time. I already had an excellent physical therapist and he and his the staff were all diligent and effective with a minimum of discomfort. Recovery was OK with the therapy being as thorough as the surgery.

I was concerned that the joint would be weak or vulnerable. No need to worry, I did the acid test about six months later. I was hanging on to the rope around a 550 lb steer's neck when he zigged. I landed on my elbow while it was in the 90 degree arrangement. I heard the "snap" and knew I had hurt the thing. X Rays showed how good my orthopedist really is. The shoulder was fine, but my collar bone was fractured. The PT office had a laugh at my expense. I sent a couple of ribeyes to my surgeon. Range of motion 2 years later is 95%, strength is at least 95% and pain is old history now.

“You must endeavour to enjoy the pleasure of doing good. That is all that makes life valuable.”
Robert E. Lee, in a letter to his invalid wife.