Originally Posted by logcutter
When Surgery Is Necessary
It is important for people to understand that rotator cuff surgery may be an appropriate option for shoulder pain resulting from a rotator cuff tear. However, it is also important to understand that rotator cuff tears are incredibly common. So common that, as people age, they become expected. Therefore, having a rotator cuff tear is not a reason in and of itself to have surgery. The decision about when surgery is appropriate is complicated and depends on a number of factors that you need to discuss with your doctor.

On the other hand, patients should be reassured, that while some rotator cuff tears do cause pain, the vast majority will never require surgery, and many people can find relief with nonsurgical treatments. Patients who are told they need rotator cuff surgery should understand the reason for surgery. In most cases, non-surgical treatments should be attempted first, the exception being in younger patients who have rotator cuff tears resulting from traumatic injuries. If you are unsure of the necessity of a rotator cuff surgery, a second opinion can be helpful.

Truth there.I lived with torn rotators for 15 years or so. Three different surgeons told me they couldn't help me because I had left it go too long. Then a simple act of flipping a wheel borrow up to dump it finished it . Another yea went by with a lot of pain and no ability to use my right arm.The surgeon who did my shoulder was accepted by my insurance finally and I was able to get something done. My left shoulder has tears in it too, but I am living with it. Can't see ever having that surgery again.

Last edited by saddlesore; 11/28/19.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles