Thanks guys

The one I looked at is a 1st year production, and I've occasionally read that the very early ones were better shooters. No idea why or even if that's a true statement.

I can imagine that a little extra attention may have been paid to them when Ruger started up the manufacturing process. I can also imagine many of the teething pains of getting a new product up and running...

I wonder why Ruger would have switched to a threaded barrel unless they were having problems. My guess is that they were fitment/assembly problems in the plant, not accuracy problems -
1. Easier to machine 2 high precision rounds than to machine 2 standard precision rounds, then thread and deburr them both.
2. My guess is that accuracy problems would be the result of "generous" chambers as much as any action-to-stock issues, and neither have anything to do with threaded or slip fit barrels.

So, there's nothing we can do about Bill's zeal to machine crappy chambers, but if there is a way to inspect for chamber depth and even the leade is like to give it a try

Any tips?

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....