Have an older walnut stocked one that I was close to sending off for a new barrel. About 1.25 inches at 50 yds, and I thought it should do better. Before doing that deed though I ran into some discussions on shimming the split bolt to rectify a slight headspace issue. First shim was 0.004 inches with no change. Second 0.010 with difficult bolt closure, but groups halved at 50 yds. Third shim 0.007 with polite resistance to bolt closure and groups the same as the prior (0.010 in) attempt Now in the 0.5 to 0.75 inch realm at 50 for 10 rounds.

Their triggers are some of the easiest to work down and there are some web instructions for grinding springs and stoning sears.

Even our lowly 22LR's are ammo specific. Target grade ammos are super. Typical off the shelf it favors American Eagle hollow points and Winchester Power Points (HP) out of about 10 brands I experimented with.

Kept the rifle and it's a toss up as to whether I take the Ruger or a high dollar Anschutz to the squirrel fields. If I were to rebarrel, I would go with a tighter chamber. Probably have at least 40,000+ rounds down the tube on this one.

Holds zero well even with a cheapo scope on top. I think it helps a bit to have the ability to correct for parallax, as I take shots from 10 yds out to about 125+ on squirrels.

It gets an annual cleaning just to make me feel good. After a cleaning it seems to take about 20 rds for point of impact to settle down again. Took me a couple sessions to figure that one out. Post cleaning, I'd go to the range and start chasing zero only to end up with the knobs back in their original positions.

If I lost this one, I'd buy another.

A buddy recently picked up a CZ. Not quite the same fit and finish as my Ruger, but it shoots well.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/05/20.

1Minute