Thanks all

Well, I bought the Ruger at noon. No deal on it but I gave it a better inspection armed with a little knowledge and a spent case, and what I found was good so I went for it.

The bolt head had moderate play in it - .maybe .015" to my eyes so sounds like a shim candidate.

The chamber, however, was very tight. A spent case from an accurate CZ 455 fit very snugly but only went halfway in before I would have had to force it. Chamber is reasonably clean too - fouling was not binding it up at all. No way to tell how deep the chamber is though...

Crown looks to be true, although that can be tough to see even if you're an old machinist like me.

Factory trigger (I believe) was much better than I expected too. Doesn't need any work as-is, and could only get better IMO.

I'll be into I for $500 after I track down rings. Thats a lot, but I'm cautiously optimistic after giving it a good look today.

I'd like to thank everyone for their input. There are still plenty of guns that I dont know much about and this is one of them. Without the info people have shared I would have skipped it. Instead, I may have found a real gem.

Kragman

Last edited by kragman1; 01/06/20.

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....