I have a load for my old 7mm RM that shoots a 140 gr. Nosler BTBT right at 3400 fps.. About 300 to 400 fps faster than the .280.. Not all 7;s will do this, but this one has a 26 inch barrel and a long Remington magazine.. I can seat the bullet out as far as needed.. I know this load was common when the 7 first hit the market.. Friends developed a load similar to this for shooting long range chucks and other varmints.. BobinNH had a similar load for one of his old 7s and someone else on the fire also had a similar load.. So the old 100 fps rule doesnt always apply.. This load came directly from a loading book and it did offer loads that went up another grain and a half.. Several friends have found this load works well for them also.
I did have a Sako 7mm RM in the early 70's that would pop the primers out with starting loads!!! Never found a decent load for that rifle... I think, this issue was one of the reasons loads have been reduced over the years.. My load came from a book in the early 90's.. So some 7's offer a gain over the std. 280.

Molon Labe