OK, perhaps your "BS" disagreement was up higher; if you read close, you'll see my point was only that they're effectively equal at what are most hunter's reasonable ranges for killing an elk... both have plenty of wallop and shoot plenty flat enough to hit the vitals of a target that big in the 300 yd range, dead is dead, that is the equivalence

You'll note that I said if one wants to stretch it w/ a heavy bullet, the 7mag has the edge, it really shines in that plus 400 range... where a lot more can go wrong with hold and wind... and one of the things often not mentioned in shooting that long on game is time of flight... a chest shot can easily become a gut shot with one casual step forward. I think most of us are happy hunters keeping it at 350 or less, where they both work great.

I've seen enough shot up elk limping around on the winter range to know it doesn't always go the way it should. It ain't pretty. I think there's often too much emphasis on shooting long, and not enough on hunting...