ateam1975:

deal #2 is a real winner, it'd be hard to turn that down no matter the caliber. I'd be all over it.

but you sound like your heart really wants the .280 with the thumbhole and you liked the fit. I'm sure we've all passed on "good" or "better" deals for something that we would be happier with, in your case it sounds like the .280 is what you want.

now the ammo situation... since you clearly have access to the internet I would suggest ordering your ammo off the internet. Midway, www.midwayusa.com , has over 16 different loads for the .280 and I'll bet you they're cheaper than your local gun shop. Or your gun shop may be willing to special order ammo for you, especially if you buy your rifle from them.

to sum it up if I were you: I'd get the .280 because you like it more due to the stock and fit. I believe I've heard "it's the rifle not the caliber" somewhere on these forums, I believe it to be true. Also see about ordering the ammo from your dealer or off the internet.

you can prolly get a real good deal on a scope in the classifieds forum. there's always a ton of them for sale at really good deals.

let us know what you get friend

Brett (Mac)

ps: welcome

Brett