Originally Posted by ateam1975
� NOW, I am looking at 2 rifles, both used,
1) rem 700 in .280 no scope, $499,
2) rem 700 7mm mag $599, with leapold vx III 3.5-10.
I know the scope makes a great deal, but the .280 has a nice thumb hole stock and stainless 26" heavy barrel.
My local gun shop has about 3 choices of factory ammo, and approx. 13 for 7mm mag. I haven't shot either, but that .280 fit my frame very well. Thank you all agien , adam.

Given those choices, I would take the Rem M700 every day of the week. Check out the cost of a 3.5-10 VXIII, new or used. They are a great scope. Worst case you could sell it for considerably more than the cost difference in the rifles. And you would still have the rings and bases, which you will have to buy for the .280.

The .280�s heavy 26� barrel may feel great when checking it out at the local gun shop, but when carrying it up and down the mountains you will get an entirely different and much less favorable perspective. I just built a heavy-barrel 24� 6.5mm-0AI and, based on many years of experience, there is no way I�m carrying that thing up and down the mountains when hunting elk.

If a thumbhole stock turns your crank you can always change stocks on the 7m RM in the future.

You can buy ammo online and probably save money or I�m sure your local dealer will special order anything you want.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.