Originally Posted by mudhen
We have several of both in the gun safe (or have had at one time or another). We load the .280s (including the AI) with 160 Partitions for elk. We load the 7mm RMs with both 160s and 175s. With these two chamberings, so far, we have had only two one-shot kills on bull elk--both with the .280s. That said, I can't really tell any difference in effectiveness in the field at the ranges at which we shoot elk. We don't shoot them at 300+ yards, primarily because we can almost always get closer. If we can't, we pass on the shot.

I played around with a 7mm STW when Layne Simpson first wrote about them, but found that, for me, the extra powder, noise and recoil didn't yield that much extra range. This was in a rifle with a 26 inch barrel that weighed well over ten pounds with a scope, sling and full magazine.

Admittedly, I am not a "long range hunter". I don't use a scope that goes higher than 9x and I don't trust turrets that can be turned by rubbing on my clothes or other gear. Confronted with a B&C bull at over 300 yards, I would probably twist the damned thing the wrong way anyway. I have seen both of those things happen with rifles carried by guest hunters that I have guided over the last ten years or so.

I"m gonna drag this off topic a bit, but I'm kinda wired again today.... You don't need more than 9x to shoot longer distances.... I have taken deer out past 550 yards with iron sights. You only need to know what you are doing. X of the scope isn't all there is to it.

Turrets can't get changed by rubbing them on clothes. They have covers and guns are generally zero'd for chip shots like 300 yards and under. Its the longer shots where you have time, you take the caps off and adjust.

And he says he'd adjust the wrong way, well certainly if you don't practice it. But to this day if you tell my wife to turn left up there at the light, she'll have to THINK about it. But due to years of shooting I can scream 6 left and 2 down, knock it down, and in the matter of a couple of seconds the CORRECT correction is on the gun EVERY time, and the shot is gone.

What you say is all fine and true to you, but to others its VERY simple, not a disaster like you make it out to be. The good thing is folks know their limitations and where to stop, but they don't need to be bashing others methods or tools that are proven to work.

I prefer as close as I can get. Yet if the only shot is a long one, I'm generally set up for it and ready to shoot. Actually the problem we get is judging quality of antlers way out there, making a shot is easy compared to seeing if the animal is what you really want or not.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....