They certainly aren't equals, but if you want to kill an elk, a .280 (or .270 for that matter) can still carry over 1500 ftlbs past 400 yds, and a 7mag can carry it past 500yds. That's an energy number many consider around an acceptable minimum for elk. Most elk are shot at well less than 400 yds, which I think is a good thing. Thus, some of my version of the argument that they are effectively equivalent for killing elk at reasonable ranges. Understanding point blank ranges is also part of it.

Should every hunter be shooting at elk past 400yds?
I'll leave that to the individual reader to answer, but I've got my opinion from what I've seen. No.

Myself, sometimes I carry a 7mag, sometimes a .270 when hunting elk, depending upon circumstances, both are great solutions if you know your limits and those of the guns, that's the key. My friends and I have got enough personal experience at long and short w/ both to give me confidence but also see limitations. Last Sunday, I passed on a 455yd shot with a dead rest at a stationary feeding cow with my .270. Light ran out before she or I got closer. It was okay, I felt it pushed the limits too much and would have ended my season happy. Tuesday morning, the good Karma of having some restraint worked out, I harvested my cow with a 70 yd shot. It's more fun to get close anyway.