Originally Posted by marktheshark
I dont know if you guys mentioning an AR are serious or not but, my Dad (USMC 'Nam Combat Vet and very proficient shooter) was just tasked with setting up a security team at the church him and mom attend. Part of the set up is an AR with a high end EOtech optic. This rifle is stored in a locked closet with a metal door and frame in the unused locked choir loft. Dad or the one other guy (who is a former member of the 75th Ranger Regiment) who are designated to use it literally sit in the loft right next to the open closet during any service. They have a complete field of fire to anywhere in the sanctuary from this position. One armed usher is asked to sit along the center aisle in the back pew and the other known armed guys are asked to stagger themselves throughout the sanctuary. These members shoot at least with bi weekly at a members farm, several like dad are retired and shoot much more often then that.

The armed members are great but we started out by reviewing the physical security of the building. Some changes that were made include that all doors except the main entrance are locked at all times. The main entrance glass outside doors are locked when service begins and an usher(concealed carrying) must let in any late comers. The inner vestibule doors leading to the sanctuary are also locked during services with another usher opening those for people.

Reminds me of high dollar banks in the Old West.