I've got some good deer rifles but the go to is my 1966 model 70 Push feed chambered in .270 Winchester. When I first bought it in August 1966 I had a brand new Redfield 4X scope mounted on it in Weaver mounts with 2 piece bases. It has since gone through 3 other scopes and killed a couple of 18 wheelers full of deer (Not all by me) in the 53 years I've hunted with it, this November will make 54. It now has a 4 year old Leupold VX-2 with adjustable Objective for paralax, that I like.

After I bought it and had it for a couple months I took it to a range in preparation of a hunt put on for the Boy Scouts to sight in. There was an old man there that my family knew who was sort of a guru with guns. I was feeling so proud of my new shiny toy until he raked it over the coals telling me what a crap job Winchester did to the Model 70 in 1964. Hell, I didn't know any better, I was an 18 year old kid. I went home with my tail between my legs, never mind that ratty old push feed probably out shot his custom Mauser that day.

I found through the years it wasn't so bad a gun. It's probably more accurate than most pre 64s and I have found out that it's actually considered by most in the know a stronger action. Anyway, aesthetically he had me but practically I had him. Whatever, it's still my go to hunter out of 12 other nice rifles 53 years later.

Last edited by Filaman; 02/12/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!