Originally Posted by Boomer454
Heym SR-21 8x57IS. Mainly hunting for wild boar and roe deer in a mix of fields and forests, but it'll drop a red deer with ease, too. If I'm after something smaller, the Heym Bockdrilling comes with me.
If I had to choose a caliber for it again, I'd go with the .30-06, though. At least with factory ammo I have noticed a significant advantage in shock and instant kills with the '06.
Love the look of those Featherweight Model 70s, by the way.

Not too familiar with Heym. Prompted me to look them up. Looks like a quality rifle. Watched a quick review on youtube (Heym SR 21 - Planete CHASSE). Didn't understand a word the guy said but the bolt seemed smooth to operate and the stock is a nice slim profile. Is the bottom of the magazine metal or polymer? The mag release button looks slightly recessed -- have you ever experienced an unintentional release while carrying? Guessing not.

So many rifles would work in my neck of the woods, but I've been using my BLR .358 Win the most lately. Plenty of punch, light to carry and quick into action if necessary. 20" barrel isn't too long to navigate through thick woods. Scope is a Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5x32 but I would have put a Weaver V Classic 1-3x20 on it if I'd known its eye relief was 4" instead of the 3.1" they used to list it at. It would be a little lighter and trimmer mount, but the Bushnell has worked fine so far. I've been shooting Hornady 200 gr Interlocks (both RN and SP) handloaded with IMR-3031.

[Linked Image]