Originally Posted by Rustyzipper
I am not sure but I have some 308 based shooters that will get the nod. .308 and .358 seem to be my main choices. I can't decide for sure. I like the Scout rifle from Steyr but also like the 358 Winchester in Savage 99, Remington 7600, and BLR. So I would have to make a decision here. My 358 whitetail kills have been DRTs. Some of the .308s were as well. For a choice I like all of the above. The cases are readily available and so are bullets. I can cast the 180 gr WFN for the revolver AND the 358 Winchesters. All good for a whitetail here in Misery. Never had to take a shot farther than 100 yards and most were less than 50. If the shot is longer get closer. And never pass on a close shot when the deer says "Shoot me!". Be Well, Rustyzipper.

It’s pretty darn hard to beat a .35 caliber for versatility.....if you hand load! I always thought that a .350 Griffin and Howe Magnum or a .358 STA may be the near perfect cartridge. Though, not really practical for foreign hunts! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 04/05/20.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024