After I bought it and had it for a couple months I took it to a range in preparation of a hunt put on for the Boy Scouts to sight in. There was an old man there that my family knew who was sort of a guru with guns. I was feeling so proud of my new shiny toy until he raked it over the coals telling me what a crap job Winchester did to the Model 70 in 1964.

In the Spring of 1975, I bought a slightly used 1974 Model 70 PF 30-06. I too was very proud of my "Mod 70", and I had a Wide View 2x7 on it. I located a a gent in the nearby town who handloaded. He loaded me up some "accuracy loads" from the Sierra manual, with the 165 SGK. It was one accurate old rifle! I shot many sub MOA groups with it, and "every Self-appointed Expert" also ragged on me ( unsolicited too, can you imagine that? ha) what a POC it was. I knew it was not a "Pre 64", but it felt good in my hands. I liked it. About that time I got heavy into my "Bowhunting Phase" and sold it buy equipment.

I use a bolt rifle almost exclusively, no matter where I hunt, but especially out West here. I have killed a lot of deer/hogs in E. Texas growing up with a Mod 94 Classic 30-30. I didn't use a scope until I was 22, ha. My last Mule Deer was shot with a Marlin 1894 Cowboy in 45 Colt. A very fine woods rifle. But now I'm sticking with a flat shooter scoped bolt rifle. I prefer the "Mountain Rifle style" now. Kimber 84L/270 and a Mesa 6.5 Creedmoor. The Creed is being set up for my Grand Daughter as an heirloom/target rifle, maybe she will hunt with it later. She is only 10 now and I will let my Marine SIL fight with my overprotective daughter to teach her to shoot, ha. The rest of my Grandkids could care less, so be it. BUT watch out for those "Experts"! ha

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 03/04/20.