Originally Posted by Matty99669
Just curious about others hunting enviornments. Whats the make and caliber of your "go-to" rifle? The one you take out most in a season. The one you could never sell if they are all one in the same.

My 1982 Ruger M77 has hunted elk and deer more years than all my other rifles combined, but in the last few years my .Ruger MKII 300WM and MKII .338WM have seen more use, in part because thy both have synthetic (boat paddle) stocks rather than wood and the .338 is stainless as well.

When it comes to antelope, my 1989 Ruger M77 has seen far more use than all my other rifles combined. It has been used by two of my daughters and two nephews as well as myself. About three years ago I used it to take down an antelope on the run at 500 yards with a 110g AB @ 3163fps M.V., one and done. That rifle is my favorite for lots of reasons.

As an all-around rifle it would be hard to beat my stainless Ruger MKII .30-06. It came to me with a nutmeg laminate handle which quickly swapped out for a Ruger boat-paddle. I've had it out to the range a couple times lately, shooting steel at 600 yards, and have killed clay pigeons on the berm with it at that range.

Left to right: Ruger MKII .300WM, MKII .30-06, MKII .338WM

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 04/05/20.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.