I have had Shilohs in .40-50 SBN, .40-70 SBN, .44-77 SBN, .45-70, .45-100, .45-110 and am now waiting on the .50-90. I am one of those that want to try as many as possible and although I have not shot anything bigger than a deer or hog I have enjoyed hunting with all of them. The .40-50 would be a little light for anything bigger than deer but the rest are quite capable of taking Elk and Buffalo according to all the books on the history of Buffalo hunting. The .50-90 was said to put Buffalo down quickly but according to the sales records from Sharps there were not a whole lot of them made. I do imagine that there were probably a lot of .50-70s that had their chamber lengthened but that is an assumption that I don’t have any proof to back it up with. The big .45-110 was another very effective Buffalo caliber that was used a lot along with the .40-90 SBN in the latter part of the Buffalo era because they had a flatter trajectory allowing for longer shots. One of the reasons I want the .50-90 is curiosity and the fact that I don’t have one.

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets