Originally Posted by pacecars
That is definitely a serious hammer! What paper are you using? How much compression to get 130grs of powder in it?

It's a piece of cake, paper is 8lb onion skin and patches up to 500-501 average, drop tube 130gr Swiss 1FG in full length sized cases that have had the mouths belled previously enough to seat a patched bullet by hand, Starline brass has plenty of capacity, set 30 thou Walters card wad on top, compress 500 thou, add 220 thou grease cookie, set another 30 thou Walters wad on top, with light pressure press wad stack to bottom wad with compression die.

Insert the patched bullet and press it down, then taper crimp case mouth closed to 524 thou, that leaves the bullet 250 thou down in the case.

All that said, I was "able," but it wasn't fun, in my zeal to run those long bullets adrenaline had me pumped pretty good sitting on the shop slab chronoing a few rounds, I can say after 30 rounds at the bench yesterday I had a come to jesus moment, the load shot great, I tore up the gongs out to 700 yards, the 200 yard gong was nearly knocked off the s hooks, it would have removed the 100 yard gong, but didn't shoot it.

Shooting this level of power is simply too much work and very taxing on a mans framework, what a BLAST it is indeed, I saved one of my old 1.5 inch bullets, I'm going to place it back in the mould and adjust the mold base to touch and lock it back down.

With 1.5 inch bullets at 1300 fps like Kurt71 said is a very comfortable, and very accurate load to shoot considering it's still 50 cal and north of 700 grains, with it I save substantial recoil, lead, powder and equal accuracy, I can twist a bit more elevation and windage, those are free! smile

Trump Won!