We all have our favorite rifles and calibers we use for hunting. I favor the sharps and the Hawken for hunting. The two Sharps I use for hunting one is the .44-2-5/8 (.44-90bn) and the other is my favorite the .44-77 Hartford pictured earlier. The .44-90 will drop a meat bulll Bison with one shot and they react differently hit with the 90 over the .44-77 both using a 485 gr original Sharps bullet used in the original for the hunts.
Two bulls I took were shot between 150 and 200 yards and both were hit in the lung just above the heart a couple inches very close to the same spot and the .44-90 he only walked 50 yards and dropped. The one in the photo I hit at a ranged 158 yards just above the heart again. I tend to hold a little high at the rub spot where the elbow rubs the hide because I don't know how much hair is hanging below the chest where the heart is low in the chest. The bull in the photo with Carolyn and me I had to hit him twice, once at the 158 ysd standing and the second shot he was on a run and both shots hit three fingers apart and he stem managed to make it a couple 100 yards before he dropped. They are tough critters.
After one of the hunts we did some shooting at the silhouette targets that were setup on the Ranch and we moved back to 1585 yards to shoot at the iron Buff that was setup and I used the .44-77 with the barrel sights to duplicate the Billy Dixon shot at that distance and it took a 3-4 shots till I found a dark grass spot on the sand to hold for the wind that was blowing at a good clip, held about three targets into the wind and managed to connect with the .485 gr RN original profiled bullet.
One bull I had to make three shots with the .44-77 with the last shot behind the ear to finish him. I used the Hartford .44-77 with a the scope on it and when it was all over I swore never to use a scoped rifle for a hunt again.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]IMG_1650 by Kurt, on [bleep][Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]IMG_2508 by Kurt, on [bleep][Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]april 2013 112 by Kurt, on [bleep][Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]44-77 Sharps by Kurt, on [bleep]

Last edited by Kurt71; 08/19/20.