Originally Posted by Hastings
Read Romans 13: 1-6. Do Nero, Caligula, Hitler, Pol Pot, Idi Amin, Stalin, Obama come to mind? The Jesus I know would not have endorsed this.
All governments commit injustices. The passage doesn't say that God approves of all regimes, but that God allows all regimes. But all governments punish some of the wrong doers too.

Do you think you would be better off under Stalin if you went about robbing, raping and murdering or if you conducted yourself with honor?
I can guarantee that if you went about robbing & murdering under Nero, Nero himself may not get you, but the local governor would see you crucified.

Frankly, I don't think this passage is dealing with grossly unjust regimes. It doesn't apply to Pol Pot or Hitler. But Pol Pot and Hitler weren't much involved in prosecuting murders. Neither was 0bama. It's the local rulers who deal with things like that.

Plus, I don't think it's within the scope of our intelligence to understand Nero or Caligula. Obviously God allowed them to do what they did. We just don't know why. But the passage you cited should make us think seriously before we revolt against any government, no matter how bad it is. For instance, you don't want to end up like Spartacus. As bad as the Romans may have been at the time, Spartacus' rebellion was a huge mistake that cost him and nearly all his followers their lives.

I think you read this one too absolutely and often with the wrong level of governance in mind.

Politics is War by Other Means