I have been hunting Alaska and moose and caribou, bears, etc. for about 55 years. Some times it seems like no matter what you do or wear you end up wet, cold tired and miserable. My wife and me no longer hunt and live out of a back pack as hitting 70 takes the fun out of some of that.

Long ago I settled on Helley Hansen Impertech rain Parka and Bibs. They are a bit stretchy, quiet and can be rolled up smaller then most quality rain gear and with the bibs one does not have to fight pulling pants up. I also do not like tight rain gear, as I want to vent moisture if possible. Depending on what I attach to my belt I often wear suspenders when hunting. So for me about the only thing I want on my belt is my favorite knife and a 5 round ammo slide.

I like Gortex, but I don't trust it or any other super fabric to keep me dry in a day after day down pour. I have a set of Cabelas MT50 Gortex Parka and Bibs, but generally if it is a serious rain I put the Impertech on. A down vest is nice as I usually use the layer system and don't pack a real heavy insulated coat on fall moose hunts. Hoods are nice on coats and synthetic hoodies. I like wool shirts and Smart Wool is about my favorite for all garments and socks. Bring a good itch free neck gator, what a difference they make for retaining heat as does a good fitting wool or synthetic stocking hat.

All though I have a favorite knife, a Bushfinger by Fiddleback Forge made with premium CPMS 35 V steel I bring a Havalon knife and several of the disposable blades. They are super good little blades and I used them on last years moose.

I used to always store a spare neck gator, watch cap and socks in my sleeping bag and they really add to warmth when sleeping in a tent. A good Gortex or ball cap is nice. Make sure you have a good bug net head cover and bug dope. Start thinking about a personal first aid kit. I carry a tourniquet and the blood clotting stuff in what ever pack I have on, as well as mole skin. A lot of this depends on where one is staying each night and mode of transportation. Argo, canoe, ATV, hind legs, etc.

Boots are a crap shoot and what works for one person is hated by another. For sure high water proof boots are in order and I have logged many a mile in hip boots, don't like them but I stayed dry. If you can get by with knee high Bogs or similar styles that should work. Just put some miles on them before the hunt. Bring some rubber bottomed camp slippers. CHAP STICK, FLUSHABLE WIPES, nuff said.

Moose don't usually fall over unless structure is hit. I have never had one go far with a good lung shot from my 30-06 or .338 Winny. Most of my moose have been taken under 100 yards. I am a Barnes TTSX fan since the 80's, before that it was Nosler Partitions. Now days there is no end to good bullets. We went from a sat phone to a Garmin In Reach as it runs off of satellites. We still have cell problems where we hunt and the older we get the more important quick communication becomes.

Have fun and kill a big one! Please let us know how it goes. Big black bear in Newfoundland !