Originally Posted by kkahmann
When I was a child I listened closely to those adults around me. This was in the 50’s
Every adult male I knew had served in either the First or Second World War. They didn’t talk much about War but when they did it was with a real sense of Pride.
They talked constantly about The Great Depression. I could sense their fear and anger and exasperation. No one I knew had any money in the stock market but they all agreed it started with the crash of 1929. They talked about commodity prices—mostly grain and beef. Price per ton of coal was always big topic because I lived in a coal producing area.
In 1962 when I was 13 my family moved to southern Minnesota. Lots of dairy farms—beans and some small grain—saw my first field of flax—ever walk thru Flax? That memory will stick with you! Corn as far as the eye could see. I met some farmers who had stayed on the farm and worked their asses off during the war—they too talked about low yields—no cash during the Great Depression.
I never heard of the Spanish Flu until I moved to Canada—in the middle 70’s. It was a topic of discussion right behind the Second World War and the Great Depression. Seems it hit some places worse than others—at least in the collective memory. Many of the men I met had served in the Second World War and many had served in Korea. Only commodity prices ever mentioned was Oil and Pulp wood.
I’m an Old Man now and not very well educated but it seems to me if the country could fight a World War and Win after going thru the Great Depression then we gonna get thru these present difficulties.

What a fantastic post. It reads like the opening pages of a memoir I’d love to read. I suggest you title it Walking Through Flax
Thank you for sharing your wisdom.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty