I understood what he said. What he didn't understand, and you don't understand is that OIC, in their present form, can be misused by any government in power. If the Conservatives formed the government, they can misuse it.

In simple terms, legislation is drawn up, given to, and signed off by the Governor General. It is then law.

This can be done by any sitting government without being debated or voted on in the House of Commons. You cannot say that Conservatives wouldn't use it. They can, if they formed the government. This flaw has nothing to do with the West vs the East. It has everything to do with how OIC are drafted and used.

In this latest case, the Liberals are a minority government. They cannot ram legislation through because they do not have the majority of seats. Had they proposed gun ban legislation the regular way, the bill would be read in the HofC and debated in Parliament by all our MPs. The legislation would have been voted on by all MPs. If the bill did not pass, it could have resulted in a no-confidence vote. I believe that they did not want to take that chance.

If the majority of MPs vote no confidence, the sitting government may be dissolved and an election is called. Another option is a coalition of other parties. For example, the Cons and the NDP (or the Bloc) could be asked to form a government.

By using orders in council, the House of Commons is not consulted. There are no readings. There is no debate. Nothing. The government goes to the Governor General's office, telling him the legislation is necessary, has been discussed by the Privy Council and it needs to be law. The GG will then sign it off and it becomes law. Done.

If the Conservatives were the government, they could do it. If the NDP were the government, they could do it. The flaw is with OIC and the abbreviated process to get something made into law. There is no democratic process. There is no discussion. It is, in effect, dictatorial.

Whether the East elects the government or not, is not the problem here. OIC, as they are presently used, are the problem.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]