While I’m not that familiar with the details of your political struggles, about 95% of what has been said here in this thread is also true of us just south of all of you.

What “liberalism” results in politically is, paradoxically, contrary to the usual, common meaning of the word. Liberals aren’t content to just live their lives as defined by their world view; they inevitably seek to impose it on those who aren’t “liberal”. The most extreme and mediocre liberals, when opportunity knocks (the Corona pandemic), become enthralled with power and control — channeling fascism — like Michigan’s governor Whitmer.

They see people as a collective to be dictated to and controlled which calls for expansive government, regulations and policies; they do not see the masses as individuals with inherent rights as true conservatism does. Liberals always make democracies, republics, or any form of representative government less so.

To my point, yes, the electoral college was envisioned by our framers (for a republic form of government) to give the states an equitable voice to the election of the president and vice-president of the US. While Canadian conservatives might argue for your own, true to form, many liberals here would like to abolish ours for the very reason it was formed — an equitable voice.

I love the expansive beauty of your nation, and of course, the outdoor exploits possible; I can’t envision a better nation to be neighbors with. I wish the wind at your back in all your efforts to retain your rights and freedoms.

My apologies for landing in a Canadian thread about Canadian problems and bringing my soapbox over.