Originally Posted by Clarkm

Epoxy is good for about 4500 psi in shear.
We covered some of the force last month.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/14868946/1

Oh yeah, I remember that thread:

"A #6 screw tightened to 18 inch pounds with dry threads will make 640 pounds of clamping force.With 4 screws this is 2560 pounds of clamping force.
If there is no oil between the receiver and scope bases, the coefficient of friction is 0.8. That would be good for up to 2048 pounds of scope acceleration force.
But if there is oil, then the coefficient of friction is 0.16 and only good for up to 409 pounds of scope acceleration force, and the scope zero will be lost."

So, that static coefficient of friction (0.8) is steel/aluminum (scope base) on steel receiver? I know it's an assumed value , but there would be a good difference between an hi-gloss blued receiver and a bead blasted stainless, no?

If there is a layer of bedding compound installed, how does change coefficient of friction value change when you have epoxy/metal contract? It's still unclear to me Clark, how much of that 2,000 lbs of shear force is distributed between the (1) screws and (2) friction between the scope base/receiver.

I certainly see why increasing the contact area of the scope base/receiver takes the shear load off the screws. And I definitely see why roughening up the receiver (gasp) would make things even better.