Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
That's an exciting prospect. Pick a firearm that you are very familiar with, cartridge choice is important but the right bullet PUT IN THE RIGHT PLACE IS EVEN MORE IMPORTANT. It is a major step backwards in your plan if you pick out something to use that you can't handle well and hit well with. I'd pick a stainless bolt gun with a synthetic stock that fit me well , scoped with my Vari X lll 1.5 x5x with buis on the rifle. Chambered for the 300 win mag.or larger. Probably wouldn'dt even buy a new a new gun as I have enough suitable to choose from all ready.200 + gr NPT's loaded in newer brass. The idea of using handoads does not bother me.What would bother me is the idea of not being practiced enough to have 100% confidence in my outfit and self. No I have not shot any bears. MB

IMO this sums it very nicely, but starting cartridge would be a 30-06 and 180gr bullets.

As a side note, when I was in AK this spring black bear hunting. I asked the outfitter, who also does SE Alaska brown bear hunts. What cartridge would you pick for brown bear? As long as shooting accuracy was equal and not a factor. "Probably a 375"

But he also stated that shot placement is primary importance.

I do not plan on ever hunting Browns, but if I did, I would take a 338-06 or 375 in that order.

Arcus Venator