Originally Posted by North61
My Winchester 95 in caliber .405 is the slickest feeding rifle I have ever owned. It even feeds upside down when fed slowly, (don't ask how I know). Even the great Winchester 71 and some of my bolt guns fail at that test. Would this ever matter? Probably not but I trust the 95 as the closest thing to controlled round feeding in a lever gun. With 300 grain Woodleighs it also kills stuff pretty well. If going for a lever I'd feel very comfortable with the 95.

I'd marginally rather have a 30-06 with 220 Partitions than a 7 Mag with 175's but those would be the minimum choices for me. I am not a bear hunter but I do hang out in the wilderness in the Yukon and my favourite 25-06 caribou rifle starts to feel pretty small when a bear comes by to check out the gut pile. Looking at the disposition paired with the bone and muscle mass I'd think a designated bear rifle would start at 9.3x62 and go up from there.

North, yah the 95 is a reliable, bizarre looking rifle! When I soft cycle a rifle, sometimes I'll get a jam with other guns, not the 95. This year's hunt was a unique situation:

Sparring back n forth with a big bull moose, throwing out challenge grunts, he wouldn't clear brush for clear shot. Finally, he rushed out to open spot. He was very close, and moved real quick. I soft cycled round into chamber, so as not to make any noise. Done deal. Never cleaned the rifle the whole trip. Real gritty and rusty. Never missed a beat.