One could easily get the impression from this thread that non-magnum cartridges are "better than" magnums because of less recoil, therefore almost anyone could shoot more accurately with them. I say "get the impression". That may not be intended, yet it's a dominant theme. That of course is true of certain shooters and/or hunters who don't shoot (for various reasons) "big guns" very often or not at all. But I hope no one goes away from here with the belief that their .308 Win is on a par with a .375 H&H under all conditions and circumstances.

I started big game (deer) hunting with a borrowed .30-30, and later with a borrowed .303 British. Sometime later I bought an Argentine military Mauser (still in the grease) in 7 x 57. It was possibly the best made and most beautiful rifle I've ever owned. But... I couldn't mount a scope due to the straight-out bolt handle, so I traded for my first .30-06, a converted M98 military Mauser. I began handloading for that rifle. Soon thereafter it was traded for a nearly new M70 in .30-06. A long story cut short: I've made handloads for most common rifles from .22 Hornet to the .458 Win Mag. And used them in hunting.

At age 86 my favorite rifle is a Ruger #1 in .458 Win Mag for which I make loads that simulate BP, or any .45-70 loads, and full house loads to Lott ballistics. And another thing: not grizzles of BB, but a "good" .458" bullet from a .45-70 or .458 Win will flatten a black bruin without a CNS hit, whereas a 9.3 x 62 will not!

I'm 86 and weigh 160 lbs.

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus